Below are the highlights of the report provided by EBRPD. To see the entire report, or to watch a video presentation on its findings, click here.
“The 120,000 acres of the East Bay Regional Park District are more than just a pretty place. There are creeks that provide drinking water, trails to walk and ride that help us live healthy lives, and grasslands that are grazed which support the local food economy. And now we have an independent, scientific report by economists to prove that East Bay Parks are more than just a pretty place.Based on this report, we now know that the Park District:
Hosts 25 million visits a year. This is more than the A’s, Raiders, Warriors, Giants, 49ers, Earthquakes, and Sharks combined.
Provides a range of benefits to residents, businesses, and visitors that total about $500 million annually. This includes the values of recreation, healthcare, property values, and other ecosystem services.
Generates nearly $200 million in regional economic activity every year that would not happen without the District. This includes visitor spending and grant-funded capital investments, and the multiplier effects of both.
What does that translate into? This scientific report conclusively says that the District is interconnected with many aspects of life in the East Bay including infrastructure, jobs, transportation, public health, and housing.
In addition to these benefits, the District is a good investment. Based on our annual budget of $127 million, every $1 yields a return of $4. This means that Alameda and Contra Costa County taxpayers are getting good value for themselves and all residents regardless of background.
This report is the second installment in a longitudinal study by Economic & Planning Systems, Inc, a land use and economics firm based in Oakland. The first report was produced in the year 2000 and was groundbreaking at the time. A lot has changed over the past 17 years. The 2017 report – which you can find on our website at ebparks.org – builds on the 2000 methodology and will add to the national body of research about the economic impact of parks and open spaces.
What does this all mean for you as a resident of Alameda and Contra Costa Counties and as a park user? It means that you can go out and enjoy East Bay Parks knowing that they are more than just pretty places. They are an integral part of life in the East Bay.
For more information, call (510) 544-2008.”
In preparing for the future, the John Marsh Historic Trust is looking for people who would like to be part of our mission to restore the John Marsh Stone House and open the Marsh Creek State Park to the public.
The JMHT is a 501(c)3 non-profit, formed in 1994 to help preserve and restore the Marsh’s iconic mansion – a brick and stone house built 160 years ago. This Gothic Revival home is 7,000 square feet and was built and designed for his wife, Abby. John Marsh was a Harvard graduate and pioneer who became the first doctor in California and the first settler in Contra Costa County. Board Members also support the opening of the 3,700-acre Marsh Creek State Park where Marsh’s house is located.
As a Board Member, your duties would include: attending monthly meetings (3rd Friday of the month at 9 a.m. at Trilogy’s Club Los Meganos in Brentwood), participating in fundraising events, attending mixers and various events throughout the year. We are particularly interested in talking to people who have skills to contribute in the areas of database management, social media and newsletter production.
If interested, email email@example.com.
Photo by Steve Verduzco
This Saturday the John Marsh Historic Trust and Sean McCauley Investments present the 3rd Annual Heritage Day in Marsh Creek State Park. The free, family-oriented event is aimed at increasing awareness of the wonders of the John Marsh State Historic Park via kids, activities, expert presentations, and a rare, up-close look at the iconic 160-year-old stone mansion build by California pioneer John Marsh. Here’s a look at the schedule and the events we have planned. Don’t miss it!
The beauty and history of Contra Costa County will be featured in a special exhibit and auction of original artwork benefiting the John Marsh Historic Trust. The Other Coast: Contra Costa Landscapes and History will feature the work of local artists at special reduced prices. The event will raise money for the Trust’s efforts to restore the 160-year-old John Marsh Stone House in Brentwood, and open the Marsh Creek State Park that surrounds it.
The exhibit will run from Sept. 15 to Oct. 8 at The Delta Gallery in the Streets of Brentwood Shopping Center.
A grand Opening Gala will be held on Sept. 17, featuring wine tasting, gift basket raffles and more. Members of the Trust will be on hand to talk about the house and park, as will John Marsh “himself.” An Auction Gala will be held on Oct. 8, and will included the exciting conclusion of the Silent Auction.
Throughout the length of the exhibit, silent auction and “Buy it Now” options will provide a chance to pick up some beautiful, original artwork at very special, affordable prices. All art will be affordably priced, ideal for holiday gift-buying for the art lover in your life.
“Having the local art and business communities get behind the effort to preserve history and bring a wonderful, 3,700-acre park on line s fantastic,” said Trust Executive Director Rick Lemyre. “Come on down, get some wonderful art for your home, and help preserve history and open space all at the same time.”
The Other Coast: Contra Costa Landscapes and History is sponsored by Trilogy at the Vineyards/Shea Homes, Three Wines Company, Bloomfield Vineyards, Jamie Conners Real Estate and our host, Delta Gallery.
For more information, visit the Delta Gallery web site by clicking here. For more on the John Marsh Historic Trust or the Marsh Creek State Park, call call 925-679-5811.
Members of the National Society of Colonial Dames and the Bay Area Historic House Museums visited Marsh Creek State Park and the John Marsh Stone House on Aug. 12. They enjoyed a talk by Trust President Gene Metz, followed by a box lunch in the front yard of the iconic, 160-year-old mansion. Afterwards, they participated in in another other local activity, picking fresh fruit at one of the nearby U-pick farms. If you’d like to arrange a visit like this, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 925-679-5811.
The photo above is of Jacob Williams, a long-time servant of Ivory’s, standing alongside the Stone House in in 1897. He was featured prominently in a story written for the Rossmoor News in 2014 by Ingrid Wood, a historian and resident of Rosmoor in Walnut Creek who is related by marriage to Ivory. She visited the Stone House last weekend along with Elizabeth Ivory Tylawsky and her husband, John, of Connecticut. Ivory is their common ancestor, their great-granduncle.
Below is a shortened version of Wood’s article. To read the whole story, click here: http://tinyurl.com/ha6p7w2
By Ingrid Wood
Clara Glass Ivory would frequently ask her younger brother, Rolla Glass, to accompany her and her husband Edgar D. Ivory to visit Marco B. Ivory and his wife in Brentwood. Since 1877, Marco was manager and superintendent of the Los Meganos Rancho (13,316 acres), more commonly known as the Marsh Ranch. They lived in the beautiful stone house Dr. John Marsh had built for his wife Abby, but she died in 1855 before the mansion was finished in 1856. John Marsh was murdered on Sept. 24, 1856. Their 4-year old daughter Alice Marsh became an orphan.
The Clay Street Bank of San Francisco was put in control of the vast property and Stone House in Brentwood. Marco lived in the John Marsh Stone House for 22-½ years. Rolla loved to talk to Marco Ivory and his black employee Jacob Williams. The family called him Jake.
Prior to this job, Marco had been a sheriff of Contra Costa County for four years. Rolla enjoyed hearing the sheriff’s stories and also his earlier travel stories when Marco traveled from his home in Pennsylvania to New York City and embarked for California, making the trip via the Isthmus of Panama, arriving in San Francisco in 1858. Marco came to Contra Costa County and in Green Valley became associated with Urial Huntington in the management of a ranch of 480 acres. They engaged in stock raising. Marco was there for 14 years.
Williams’s story was a little different. He came with the James M. Tice family from New York to San Francisco in 1849. Tice was a butcher and had a business with a partner, John A. White, in San Francisco. In 1855, Tice purchased 358 acres of land, which later became known as Tice Ranch in Tice Valley, now Rossmoor, Walnut Creek. Williams had moved with the Tice family to the new location in Contra Costa County. The 1860 U.S. Census shows 14 people living on the Tice Ranch. Williams was one of the people and listed as a laborer born in New York.
In 1860, Jack Tice lived at the Tice Ranch. Jack Tice and Jacob Williams both were listed as 38 years of age. James Tice died suddenly of a stroke on March 11, 1867 and the family was not able to pay the mortgage and they lost the ranch.
Marco Ivory and Jacob Williams had met before since both worked in the same area in farming and ranching. Both came from the East and Marco understood the race issue. Williams left the Tice Ranch and went to work for Marco at the “Cook Ranch” in Green Valley near Danville. Voters’ registration shows Williams living in Danville in 1871. Years passed and later Williams was hired by Marco to work for him at the Marsh Ranch in Brentwood.
The Civil War destroyed slavery in the United States. Williams, a mulatto, was born in New York about 1830. He was not a slave; he was a free man. Years earlier Marco had to convince Williams that he was a free man and he was paid for his services. Rolla had a camera and took a photo of Williams while visiting the Ivorys at the Stone House in 1897.
Marco’s wife Sarah Ivory died in 1902 and Marco died in 1906. In his will, Marco left Williams, his employee for so many years, $1,000. Williams lived at the end of his life at the Beulah Home for the Aged and Infirm Colored People of California in Oakland. He died a year later in 1907 and was buried at the non-endowed plot number 44, grave 3241, at the Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland.
In his death certificate is noted that Jacob Williams, born in New York, had lived in California 58 years. He was widowed. His birth year remains a puzzle. Williams never learned to write and signed his will with his mark. He left an estate of $975 and 11 people inherited his wealth. Williams bequeathed $50 to the home where he had lived, $25 to seven individuals and to the three children of Marco’s deceased brother Edgar D. Ivory, he gave $250 each.
The big surprise was that Williams gave to Edgar Ivory’s only grandchild, 9-year-old Melvin V. Wood, $25. A copy of a letter is in the family archive where Melvin wrote on Dec. 6, 1907 from Alamo, Calif. a short letter to his Uncle Percy Ivory in Wilmington, Del., and at the end he added: “P.S. Uncle Jake died on the 6th of November.”
There are many membership levels to choose from.
Payment can be made by credit card , by check, or by private arrangement.
To pay using a credit card, click the PayPal link at the top of this page. Enter the amount, and type the membership level you desire in the space provided.
To pay by check, make your check payable to “John Marsh Historic Trust” and mail it to: John Marsh Historic Trust, P.O. Box 1682, Brentwood, CA 94513.
To make private arrangements, email Marsh1856@yahoo.com or call 925.679.5811
Visit our “Become a Friend” page for more information.